Summer is the season to enjoy the sun and warm weather. Just like other seasons, it’s always a good idea to take some extra precautions to protect you hearing aids from the summer heat.
Spending some time in the sun won’t harm your hearing aids, but excessive heat (from extreme weather, leaving your hearing aids in direct sunlight, etc.) can damage internal components, melt external components and drastically reduce battery life.
Here are a few tips for keeping your hearing aids safe from heat:
- If you need to remove your hearing aids, make sure to leave them out of direct sunlight. When you remove your hearing aids at the pool, leave them in a cool, shaded place in their waterproof container.
- If you’ll be in direct sunlight for an extended period of time, wear a hat to shade your hearing aids from excessive heat.
- Never store your hearing aids in the glove compartment of a car or any other area where they will be exposed to high heat.
- Remove your hearing aids before blow-drying your hair..
- Avoid extreme temperature changes. Rapid changes in temperature can cause condensation to form on the inner wiring of your hearing aid, which can lead to short circuiting.
The little known summer threat to hearing aids: Sunscreen.
Sunscreen is great for people, but not so great for hearing aids. Nobody likes getting sunburnt. So, if you spend a significant amount of time out in the sun, wearing sunscreen is sound advice. But don’t get sunscreen on your hearing aids. Sunscreen contains oils and chemicals that may damage your hearing aids. A good approach is to apply sunscreen before you put your hearing aids on.
Your hearing aids are a big investment, and you want them to last you for many years. Though summer weather can present a challenge to these high-tech devices, these steps will help you keep them functioning at peak performance, so you can enjoy all the wonderful sounds of the season. The better you take care of your hearing aids, the better they’ll take care of you.
If you ever need us or want more information about hearing health or more tips on how to care for your hearing aids, give us a call on 8331 8047 or drop into one of our three clinic locations. We have clinics in Norwood, Unley, and Salisbury.