It’s Men’s Health Awareness Week this week and there’s no better time to talk about hearing loss and how we can help you or someone you know!
Workers in construction, mining, defence and manufacturing are the most susceptible to hearing loss and with 1 in 6 Australian’s experiencing hearing loss, it comes as no surprise that men have a higher risk of experiencing hearing loss in their lifetime. Quality of life is affected by poor hearing as it becomes increasingly difficult to communicate with family, friends and work colleagues which can lead to social isolation.
It’s important that the signs of hearing loss aren’t ignored, as early intervention is essential for effective treatment. But what are the signs of hearing loss? We’ve listed some of the common signs to look out for below.
Signs of hearing loss:
- Muffling of speech and other sounds
- Difficulty understanding words, especially against background noise or in a crowd
- Trouble hearing consonants
- Frequently asking others to speak more slowly, clearly and loudly
- Needing to turn up the volume of the television or radio
- Withdrawal from conversations
- Avoidance of some social settings
The prospect of having their hearing checked might make some men uncomfortable, rest assured you’re not alone; over 3.55 million Australian’s of all ages experience hearing loss. It’s important to remember that the best combat is early intervention, so if you or someone you know is experiencing some of the signs above, contact Hearing Sense and book a complimentary hearing test with one of our fantastic clinicians.